How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my spouse had a work permit visa and applied for indefinate

Resolved Question:

my spouse had a work permit visa and applied for indefinate leave to remain, was approved together with my children, I was left because I didn't pass the uk citizen test, I also in the uk, as dependant. What must I do to apply for indefinate leave to remain?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

In order to apply for ILR as the dependent of a person having held a work permit but now holding ILR you would have to have been in the UK with legal leave to remain for 5 years. There must be no point where you did not have leave to remain in the UK.

To get ILR you must also pass the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK test if you are between 18 to 65 years old and not disabled. If you speak English to a reasonable standard (which I can see that you do from your well-drafted question) then you will have to pass the “Life in the UK” test. There’s no getting around this I’m afraid and I attached a Link to the UKBA website where you can find details of how to study and take the test:-

I would caution though that if your dependent visa is to expire before you are able to take the test and then apply for ILR then you will have to ensure that you extend your leave to remain before it expires.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you