How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved an Open University degree in 1988. Unfortunately

Resolved Question:

I recieved an Open University degree in 1988. Unfortunately the middle name on my degree was spelled incorrectly.During the course of my studies in 1987 I had changed my middle name from 'Ian' to new name 'Ivan' . Just a matter of one letter. Despite twenty years of requesting that the degree be re-issued with the correct name 'Ivan' and despite seeking help from my member of Parliament(Rory Stewart) the Open University has stubbornly refused to re-issue with the correct name. This in contrast to Middlesex University who changed the spelling on my 1983 Diploma Humanities with no problem at all- I simply requested the new spelling and they re-issued the diploma ( for a small fee).The OU stubborness could be a big problem for foreign students or in immigration questions. Is there anything I can do to get the degree re-issued with the correct name spelling ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Do you anticipate having to use your degree certificate in applying for an immigration category? If so, please state which category?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not anticipate using my degree certificate for immigration at present. I do not like having to explain the name discrepancy to future employers - it makes one seem unreliable.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


You state "..I had changed my middle name from 'Ian' to new name 'Ivan' ". Did you do this formally by a change of name deed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I changed name by Deed Poll. A copy was submitted to th Open university and my student record was updated to Justin Ivan Walker but the University refused to re-issue the degree certificate with Ivan instead of Ian.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


It is highly unlikely that the discrepancy in your name will prejudice you in any future immigration application you would need to make.


You can simply see a solicitor in this event and ask them to draft a Statutory Declaration for you to execute explaining that you changed you name by deed poll (attaching a copy of your change of name deed to the SD as an exhibit) and that this was not taken in to account by your university. This will be sufficient for immigration purposes if you cannot get them to change the name.


If they are not willing to change it following your formal attempts then the only way they can be forced to do so is by a Court Order. It would be a fairly unusual application to make at Court but provided you can prove that you were previously know as "Ian" and that this was changed by your change of name deed then you may be successful.

I would see a local solicitor about writing a letter before action to them setting out the background attaching a copy of the change of name deed and asking for them to confirm their reasonable fees to affect the change. They would state that an application to court will follow if it is not done and it should cost around £50_Vat for them to do this .

If they do not comply then you have no option but to submit an application to Court. You would probably have to pay the full costs of this though because it is quite an unusual situation.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you