How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently bought some land with a right to draw water

This answer was rated:

I have recently bought some land with a right to draw water from a spring on neighbouring land that I do not own. The supply pipe crosses the neighbouring land but was ploughed up at some time in the past (probably 20-odd years ago) and needs to be replaced. Who would have to pay for the work - me, or my neighbour?



Thanks for your question.


If the pipe is for the sole benefit of your land then it won't be your neighbours responsibility to pay for a new pipe. Simply because their land is subject to this right does not mean that they are responsible for it's maintenance by implication.


Usually the right granted (ie to you) subject to your paying maintenance, but even if these words are not included it does not act to transfer maintenance on to the person who owns the land subject to the right.


Unless there has been an agreement with the owner that they will be responsible to maintain the pipe (and why would they have agreed to this) then you will have to pay for a new supply pipe I'm afraid.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you