Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

does the Lloyd Gill Art Gallery in Weston Super Mare really

does the Lloyd Gill Art Gallery in Weston Super Mare really exist as a bona fida art gallery
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Is there a reason you are asking this? Are you shortly to contract with them?

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO SIGN A CONTRACT AND PAY AN AMOUNT OF MONEY TO EXHIBIT AT THE GALLERY WHICH IS NOT NORMAL PRACTICE FOR ART GALLERIES.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

There is obviously no central registry of art galleries which you can check against in the same way there is for charities for example.

There website is reasonably professional:-

http://www.thelloydgillgallery.com/index.html

It suggests that the gallery was formed in 2007. It's not clear what type of business entity it is. It does not mention that it is a limited company and there is no company registered at Companies House under the name of "Lloyd Gill Art Gallery" (or anything similar), but usually galleries are run as partnerships in any event and, again, there is no central registry of partnerships for you to check against. You should enquire of this, they will likely confirm it is run as a partnership/sole-trader

I would suggest calling round local art dealers to see if you can get a handle on their reputation. If the terms are uncompetitive then there is nothing stopping you re-negotiating the terms after enquiring as to why they adopt this unusual practice.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom