How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im trying to find out whether my baby, born in the UK,

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to find out whether my baby, born in the UK, is entitled to a british passport. Mother is Slovak National, father is Polish National, they both have been living and working in the UK over 13 years, but have never applied for British citizenship. Is our baby entitled to a british passport?
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. What is the date of birth of the child
2. Has the child remain in the UK since their birth

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the baby was born on 11 july 2011 and hasn't been outside the UK since birth. baby has only british birth certificate and in not yet registered in Slovakia nor Poland.

Thanks for your reply.

The child does not yet qualify to be registered as a UK citizen and thereafter obtain a passport I’m afraid.

The do not qualify by virtue of simply having been born in the UK under the British Nationality Act 1981.

In order to become a British Citizen one (or both) of you would have to first obtain Permanent Residence so that you are regarded as being free of immigration time restrictions. At this point you would be regarded as being settled in the UK. In order to apply for and obtain PR you must have been in the UK exercising your treaty rights for a continuous period of 5 years and not have spent considerable time outside the UK

You can apply for PR here:-
Using Form EEA3.

Once you have obtained PR you can apply to have the child registered as a UK citizen. Details here:-

Sorry it could not be better news.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you