How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Type your question hereI am married to a filipino[ Gnuine marraige

Resolved Question:

Type your question hereI am married to a filipino[ Gnuine marraige can she join me in the uk I am an englishman
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, she will have to apply for settlement (ie. a spouses visa).

To be eligible you must meet the following eligibility criteria:-
1. you are legally married to each other or have registered a civil partnership;
2. you are both at least 21 years old
3. you intend to live together permanently as husband and wife;
you have met each other;
4. you meet the English language requirement,
5. you can support yourselves and any dependants without help from public funds
6. you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependants can live exclusively and without needing public funds.

You must prove the above criteria by submitting considerable supporting documentation. There is no exhaustive list of such documentation and you should submit anything at all that helps in proving the above:-
- passport photographs and her passport, copy of your passport certified as a copy by a UK solicitor.
- evidence of your age and your partner's age (birth certificates)
- marriage certificate (translated if necessary
- evidence that you were both free to marry or enter your civil partnership, if either of you was previously married or in a civil partnership (eg. certificate of no impediment to marriage
- personal bank or building society statements; and/or
- building society pass books; and/or
- letters from banks or building societies confirming funds; and/or
- letters from financial institutions regulated by the Financial Services Authority (or the home regulator, if the account is overseas) confirming funds
- evidence of the accomodation where you shall live (eg. land registry official copies of title if you own your own home, or tenancy agreement if you rent
- correspondence between you both showing that you have been in a relationship
- photos of times you have spent together
- evidence of the times you have met (eg flight/hotel tickets)

Details of how she can prove the English Language requirement here, the test itself is very basic in nature:-

She will have to download and complete the UKBA's VAF4A form which is available for download from the UKBA website. SHe will have to submut this to the nearest UK embassy after preparing the supporting doucumentation.

It would be best for you to instruct a UK solicitor to prepare the application on your behalf. It will give you a much greater chance of success. They should charge around(NNN) NNN-NNNN VAT for them to prepare it and you can find local solicitors via:-

She will be granted a visa for a period of 27 months. Once she has been here for 2 years she may apply for Indefinite Leave To remain provided she has not spent any more than 90 days outside the UK in any 12 month period. Once she has held ILR for a further 12 months she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided she meets the criteria on the following page:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. Your question will not close and you will be free to ask following questions on this thread relating specifically to this issue.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was rather expecting some legal answers not imformation already in mypossesion downloaded from the internet such as the metoch judgement and other relavent judgements


I downloaded the imformation you gave me for free from the net it hardly warrents £46.


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Sorry if you are unsatisfied, but if you wish for specific advice then you really need to see a local solicitor and instruct them directly. THis is a general advice legal site, not a specific one.

The metoch judgement relates primarily to EEA treaty rights application so this is not relevant to you if you are British.

I am happy to answer any further questions you have, please provide them to me and I shall answer as best as I can given on the facts you have presented to me.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

why do i feel that I have been scammed


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I don't know why you feel you have been scammed.

I'm offering to answer the specific questions you have.

Please also note that I am an expert, I do not receive any of your money until such time as you click accept. Your money is held by the website until you click accept. Only then does a portion of it (50%) actually transfer to me.

Please provide me with your follow up questions and I shall attempt to assist you.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still have the feeling so you are an expert at it I will pay but under protest I think you are just passing on information that is freely available and it does not change my opion of the legal profession
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
The truth is that it would have been remiss of me as a solicitor to not provide you with the information above - the law is not a mystery, the truth is that the current state of the law is usually easily obtainable (as the above is). MOst of the work of being a solicitor is adminastrative - eg collating documents and writing a cogent covering letter to the UKBA for the application explaining the particular situation and walking the ECO through the various documentary evidence attached to the application.

Again though, if you have any further questions I am happy to answer them. Just let me know.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I get out of your clutchesYour site is so complicated no doubt intentionaly


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. what do you mean?

I can refer the customer services staff to you if you wish?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I cannot get myself disconnected from this site


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean?

Can you not simply close your browser?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I cannot clear the on going payment terms


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I've referred this to customer services. They will contact you.