How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son age 9, born in 2001. His mother and I were not

Resolved Question:

I have a son age 9, born in 2001. His mother and I were not married and are seperated. My name appears on the birth certificate as the father. Do I have parental rights?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question

As your son was born before 2003 then you have not acquired Parental Responsibility (which is required in order to make applications for contact/residence etc under the Children's Act) simply by virtue of the fact that your name is XXXXX XXXXX the Birth Certificate.

If you wish to obtain PR then you can either obtain PR by making a PR agreement with the mother of the child or, if she does not agree to a PR agreement, then by way of making an application to the Court for a PR order.

You should speak to the mother and then proceed via a local family solicitor either for an Agreement or Order.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions relating to this specific issue.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you