How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently been informed that my youngest brother died

Resolved Question:

I have recently been informed that my youngest brother died intestate in 2008.The firm that contacted me have said they can "sort everything out "on my behalf providing I authorise them but that their> fee is 25% of whatever he left .Am I bound by this or is there another way that may cost less.I also have a younger brother & sister...thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I assume they are offering to administer his estate for a fee of 25%. In the event that a person dies intestate then it is usual for those who shall inherit under the intestacy rules to apply for a grant of letters of representation. Once they have obtained this they are known as the “administrators” of the deceased’s estate and should proceed with dealing with the deceased’s assets and debts accordingly.

If your brother did not have any children or a spouse at the time of his death then it should pass to any of his parents that are still living. If your parents were not still living at the date of his death then his estate should pass to you and your siblings (or their children if they predecease).

You are not under an obligation to instruct this firm to act, they are simply hoping that you will because they are in a position to get started straight away. You should speak to your brother and sister (assuming that your parents are not still alive) and see what they would want to do. It depends on the size of the estate but a solicitor would almost certainly be in a position to give you a better deal.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you