How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a NZ citizen with a British passport. I would like to

This answer was rated:

I am a NZ citizen with a British passport. I would like to be able to work in Spain teaching English for no more than one year. The company to whom I wish to apply require: "You must be authorized to work in Spain (must have a European Union passport or work and residency permits)."
Is it possible with a British passport for me to acquire work and residency permits?

Thank you for your help.



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. You still hold a valid UK passport, correct?

Kind regards.


Are you able to respond to my previous post please and I shall then provide an answer for you.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My UK passport has lapsed but I can renew it.

Kind regards



I'm on my phone at the moment, may I answer tomorrow morning please?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure! Thank you for your prompt reply.

Kind regards



Hi Judith,

Thanks for your patience.

You should renew your UK passport. The requirements that are stating with respect to work/residence permits are only relevant to those persons who do not hold EEA member state passports and therefore do no benefit from EEA rights to work in other EEA member state countries.

For example, if you only held a NZ passport then you would be required to apply for a work permit under the Spanish immigration system.

If you hold a valid UK passport then you can enter Spain without a visa and work there without a permit, as you would be exercising your EEA treaty rights as an EEA member state national. Applying for a passport will be quicker than the application time for a work permit.

You will have to consult the British High Commission in Wellington’s website:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you