How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we need to renew my wifes 2 year settlement visa which expires

Resolved Question:

we need to renew my wifes 2 year settlement visa which expires on 23-10-11.
so we require the relevant information on forms and or help in this matter,
thankyou in advance
best regards
Paul Watkins wife Fatima Ortega Mata XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Paul.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. What nationality are you?
2. Are you applying simply for an extension of her leave to remain or are you applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain
3. If you are not applying for ILR can you please tell me why?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dera Tom

1/ I am a british citizen, born in london uk

2/ extension or ILR, but my wife who is dominicanan (Dominican Republic) has not done the life in the uk requirement as we were unaware the law had changed, she also speaks very little english. so maybe there is an alternative to the above, quoting the human rights issue of which i have no knowelege. The reason i state this is because she spends a lot of time in her country having ongoing kidney treatment. And as it states no recourse to public funds we assumed that included medical treatment.

I think this will cover No 3.. I hope this is helpful.

best regards


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok. If there is no prospect of here being able to pass the life in the UK test by the time her visa expires then there is no option but to apply for Further Leave To Remain. In order to do this she would need to apply using Form FLR(M) on the following link (top right of the page):-

However, she will have to pass the English Language Test, this is different from the life in the UK test which is to test the applicants knowledge of life in the UK, rather than simply understanding of the English language. The English Language test really is very simple and only requires very basic knowledge of the spoken English.

You will see that there are sufficient guidance notes as well, which should help you in terms of the documentation you are required to supply with the application in order to receive FLR. Essentially though you simply have to show that you have not breached the conditions of your visa (eg. No public funds) and that you are still married.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you