How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear XXXXX. It is Ludlow Rd again. I asked the landlord to

Resolved Question:


It is Ludlow Rd again. I asked the landlord to arrange so that the hearing is during the months when I will be in England and he said that he would do that.

Then he wrote "May I suggest you bring the claim for recovery of the deposit and I countersue you for the damage and loss you have caused to me."

I answered , possibly wrongly, that this is OK with me but that I don't know how to bring the claim for recovery of the deposit.

He gave me the following instructions.

You need to download a claim form for the small claims court.

In order to commence a claim an N1 form needs to be completed.Details of the parties and particularly the address for the service of proceedings is also included along with a brief summary of the claim.

I went to the address he gave me, used all the search options given, but have been quite unable to locate a N1 form. So, I am writing to ask you how I should navigate my way through all these options and instructions, so as to get hold of this N1 form.

But perhaps the more crucial question is whether it is in my interest to do as Mr Young suggests and if not, what should my suggestion as to who starts the procedure and how be.

Many thanks,

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Christina

I will be able to answer in an hour or so

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Christina,

Yes, he is correct – that is the form you are required to send to issue a claim. I attach a link to the page where you can download the form:-

If the above does not work then you can enter “N1” in “Form/Leaflet number” on the following link to search for it yourself:

There is no real advantage or disadvantage in terms of who issues, he’s probably getting you to do it to see if you will drop your threats to issue and accept his offer.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you