How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son who was born in 1966, was registered as Terence Roy

Resolved Question:

My son who was born in 1966, was registered as Terence Roy Gay as I was married to his father at the time. I subsequently divorced, and from the date of re-marriage in 1975, my son has been "known as" Busz rather than Gay. He now wishes to change his name legally for passport purposes. What is the best way to do this. I have agreed to carry this out for him.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

He will have to execute a Change of Name Deed. A solicitor would be able to draft the change of name deed and arrange his execution of it for around £150+vat.

I would strongly advise going to a solicitor to make sure that it is draft and executed properly, but if you wish to attempt to save the money and take the risk that you may run in to trouble if you execute incorrectly or input incorrect details then you there are online providers that can give you a template. If you googlle “change of name deed template” there will be plenty of providers.

Once you have executed the change of name deed then you he will need to apply to have this changed on his passport. All the information, including the application forms are available via the following link:-

It costs £77.50 for an adult to update their passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you