How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved in with my partner and all my belongings came with

Resolved Question:

I moved in with my partner and all my belongings came with me. It didnt work out and he asked me to move out which i did. Some of my belongings where returned, however some of my belongings are still at his house. I've asked if i could have them back, but i'm now being told No as he needs them.

Do i have any rights on getting the remainder of my belongings back.

Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the assets were solely owned by you and he did not pay jointly for them and you didn’t agree that he could have an interest in them then they remain yours.

You should write a formal letter to him entitling it “Letter Before Legal Proceedings” outlining the situation and stating that you require the return of the property as the items are still yours. Give full details of the items and the background of your occupation (don’t go in to emotions – be factual). State that if he does not contact you to return the items within 14 days then you will issue a claim against him for a money judgement to the value of replacements.

If he does not comply then you can sue him yourself via, it’s cheap, very easy to use for lay persons and is designed for people who wish to claim for items that are not of considerable monetary value but of value nonetheless. Your claim will be issued in country court and you can proceed from their.

Prior to writing the above letter you may consider getting some tacit acknowledgment from him, perhaps by way of an informal email, stating that you owned the items when you first started living with him. You could use this as evidence in your claim.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You