How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 47600
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my local council get access to my pesonal bank account

Resolved Question:

Can my local council get access to my pesonal bank account without my permission
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your question. Please press Accept when satisfied with my answer. For now please let me know what has happened so far?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Nothing has happened as such other than the council confifming that i did not disclose a closed ( 2 years hence ) savings account on council tax benefit application giving me the impression that they have access to bank accounts. Please note that at no time have i ever been in arrears of any kind, i therefore feel very incenced about it

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

What details in particular do you believe they have had access to?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they found that i had a savings account tha i had thought i had closed but had notb been used for some two years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.
Your bank will have strict duties under data protection legislation not to disclose any personal information about you, including details of any bank accounts you have with them. However, there are certain circumstances when they may be forced to reveal such data although that is quite limited and would only really include situations when there is an ongoing criminal investigation or of they have been ordered to do so by a court.

Please press Accept and I can expand my answer and provide more detailed advice and guidance as required. I will also answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you
Ben Jones and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you