How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in the US and have a US citizenship.

This answer was rated:

I was born in the US and have a US citizenship. Both my parents are english and have english passports. My mother lives in Cambridge and my father in Antigua. My brother and sister also have english passports/citizenships. 1. Can I get an english passport/citizenship. 2. Can you refer a lawyer that can handle the job of getting the task done? Thank you Nils xxxx

Hi Nils,

Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Were your parents born in the UK
2. When were you born
3. Were you parents married to each other at the time of your birth
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. My father was born in England. My mother was not. 2. I was born in 1962 3. Yes my parents were married and living together at the time of my birth. Thanks Nils xxxx

Hi Nils,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you will be eligible to apply for UK citizenship and a UK Passport once your citizenship has been granted. You will need to prove your identity and place of birth and the same for your parents, so you will need to have Birth Certificates or certified copies of Birth Certificates.

You will be a British Citizen by descent which means that you will not be able to pass on your citizenship to those of your children who are not born in the UK.

You can ring the British Embassy where you are to refer you to the appropriate form and guidance notes. The guidance notes are quite good in the show you what documents you will need to attach to your application and given that your application is not likely to be disputed in any way because it’s straightforward I shouldn’t think you will need to instruct a solicitor because it is simply a case of collated the documents and completing the form.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Answer was good however I would still like an answer for a British lawyer that is a specialist in this area

Thank you


I'm a solicitor qualified to practice in England & Wales and I specialise in immigration law.

What else would you like to know?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry in getting back to you.

What would you charge to handle the process?

IS there any possibility of getting the rest of my family a British passport or is it too complicated.

Many Thanks




Please click accept and I shall answer your follow up question as to your family.



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you