How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to go through a divorce, I have a loan in my name

Resolved Question:

I am about to go through a divorce, I have a loan in my name only but my soon to be ex wifes' solicitor wants proof.
Am I legally obliged to provide my loan account details or can I just sign a written statement or tell then no?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

Ultimately, your wife would be able to compel you to reveal the loan by making an application to involved the court in the financial aspects of your divorce by way of ancillary relief proceedings. So if you don't reveal it to them this is the option available to them. Ancillary relief proceedings are expensive in legal fees, lengthy and often stressful.


Were I acting for your wife I certainly wouldn't accept a declaration of the loan by you unless specifically instructed to do so by your wife, because it is not unheard of for persons to misrepresent these matters.


I would take a pragmatic view of the situation and disclose.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you