How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved business premises last December. I am in Manchester

Resolved Question:

I moved business premises last December. I am in Manchester city centre. The day after I moved in I was advised that this building had been taken into administration and that it would now be managed by a property management company in London. The past 7 months have been very difficult because the property management company just collect the rent and are not maintaining the property at all well. I have found other premises to move to now but they will not release me from the lease which I signed with the original owner of the property. The lease runs out in December`11. Can I be forced to pay any further rent to these people if I move out?
Many thanks for your assistance

Linda Law
Linda Law Piano Tuition
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your question.

The position is that you are bound to pay the rent until you terminate the lease in accordance with a break clause in your lease (if there is one) OR until you arrange a surrender of Lease with the landlord OR when you are entitled to terminate the lease because of a breach of contract by the landlord which is so serious that it goes to the heart of the lease so as to substantially deny you the benefit of the contract (this is called a repudiatory breach.


Unless you terminate in one of the above ways they will be able to sue you for the rent up to the end of the term.


Check your lease for a break clause.


It does not sound as if their lack of maintenance is denying you the whole of the benefit of the lease but you may consider speaking to other owners of units and seeing if they want to write a collective letter to the landlord stating that they are in breach and asking that it is remedied otherwise you shall pay for contractors to remedy the lack of repair and then sue them for the money.


A formal surrender of tenancy with the landlord whereby you both agree and accept that the tenancy shall cease earlier than the fixed term and you shall leave the property. This would be a formal agreement in writing and the landlord will ask you to pay a fee for this. The amount of the fee would be for you both to negotiate, but obviously you should negotiate for considerably less then the rent that you would pay up to December.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you