UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have sold my car. It had private number plates on it and

Customer Question
as part of the sale...
I have sold my car. It had private number plates on it and as part of the sale the number plate was not included with the sale. I spoke to the DVLA and they told me what i had to do. I sent the forms and payment to the DVLA. They DVLA have now informed me that they have rejected my application based on the fact that a older log book had been issed to the one i sent in with all the paperwork to transfer wonership of the vehicle and retain the number plate. They have therefore sent all the documents and money to the new owner of the car. They are now telling me that i have to find the new owner of the car to get my money and transfer the number plates. Surely this cannot be correct and i would like to take action on this now. What should i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/22/2011
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 6 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

What exactly would you like to know about this?

I would like to know what to do next as my number plate is worth alot of money and they advised me how to complete the form and now they have sent all the documents and my money to someone. they say because of data protection they acnnot give me any information. This acnnot be right i assume the number is ***** because i paid for it?
I presume that the number plate is registered to the car?
it is. However my bill of sale said it was not included as part of the sale. hence the retention.
OK.

So you sent a V778 form in before or after sale?
This was sent in at the time of sale with all correct paperwork as i was advised to do by the DVLA.
I see whats happened.

I suppose then that the only explanation for this is that the new owner sent in this documentation before the DVLA received yours.

If thats right then that would explain the view of the DVLA as the ownership changed was registered before your retention was received. If thats correct then they are right effectively. Once an ownership change is registered this application would be impossible as you are no longer the owner. In fairness, they do warn not to sell until you actually receive the retention document.

However, there is a claim against the new owner. He knows the terms of the deal do not include the new number plates. That should not be difficult to do though. You must know to whom you sold this vehicle. If thats fails you can get the name and address of the registered keeper from the DVLA and claim the cost from him.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
I have a few further questions regarding this I was informed what to do regarding this document. What happens to my £105.00 now? The DVLA have not sent it back to me?
That could be bad news I'm afraid.

Obviously I haven't heard their account about that and pricing is a matter for the DVLA rather than lawyers but I think they are probably saying that the £105 sum that is costs is for consideration of the application which has been done and so they are retaining it.

To be honest, they would probably relent over that though given the circumstances.

I would concentrate on getting his details and getting the money from him.
I have tried but they say data rpotection prevents them from giving them to me. They have also said that they have sent my money to him.

You can only get the name and address of the registered keeper of another vehicle if you can demonstrate ‘reasonable cause’ for needing the information. The DVLA must consider the reasons why you need the information and how it will be used before it is given to you.

To be fair, you have a civil claim against him and so that would seem reasonable cause.

Failing that I would just try other means of tracing him - e.g the person you paid, the location you bought it from etc.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister