Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Good Afternoon, I got Permanent Resident Visa, renewal in 10

Good Afternoon, I got Permanent Resident Visa, renewal in 10 years. I like to know if 1 year with this visa I can get the British Passport? What I need to do? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question

If you have obtained indefinite leave to remain you can apply for naturalisation subject to the eligibility requirements. You need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised you will be able to obtain a passport.

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/standardrequirements/

In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will have to apply by completing the UKBA's Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom