Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I recently booked a limo for a school prom and it did not turn

I recently booked a limo for a school prom and it did not turn up on the night. The arrangement had been that the driver would be paid £400 cash on arrival but when I checked with VISA they had debited my card £400. This was done without my permission. I have been phoning the company and the manager is always too busy to speak to me. Can I recover my money, and if so how?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the limo did not come then clearly this is a breach of contract and you will be able to reclaim your money from them.

You should write a formal letter to her stating the details of the contract (time/date or order, time/date of planned pick up etc, deduction of fee) and that you require the money to be paid back within a reasonable time (eg 14 days). State that you are prepared to issue a claim at Court for the outstanding monies if necessary.

If no response is received then you can issue a claim yourself through Her Majesty's Courts Service's online service www.moneyclaim.gov.uk . It's very straightforward to use and pretty cheap. It’s designed for persons acting without instructing a solicitor and I would refer to the site in your letter to them.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom