How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I bought my first house on 18th February 2011. My boyfriend

Resolved Question:

I bought my first house on 18th February 2011. My boyfriend may relocating to the area and moving in with me in August (depending on whether he is successful at a job interview this month). He currently owns and lives in a property 250 miles away, and would rent this out should he move in with me. Before I agree to him moving in, I want to know where I stand legally in regard to the ownership of my property. I do not intend to include him on the deeds or mortgage. We have no immediate plans to marry. However, would he automatically be entitled to a share of my property in the future, or in the event of us splitting up?
Please advise all information. Many thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your Question.

My answer assumes that in the future you shall remain unmarried, have no children, the house remains registered in your name only and that he did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food/expenses to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided he does not contribute more money in payment for rent/expenses/food than he would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation and does not carry out works which increase the value of the property then he would not be advised to make a claim against your property

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you