How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi My 87 year old Mum has become quite ill and is in Hospital.

Resolved Question:

Hi My 87 year old Mum has become quite ill and is in Hospital. I am now her only child, after loosing my older brother last year. If she dies what will happen to the money she has in her savings and current account with the bank. I do not have power of attorney.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Is she married
  • 2. Do you have any other siblings

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mum is a widow and I do not anymore have any brothers or sisters
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


I assume the accounts are in her sole name.


If she has a Will then the accounts shall pass according to how she has directed in her Will, so you will have to check at home and possible with any solicitor she instructed in the past to see if there is one. Also ask any other close friends.


If she died without a Will then she dies "intestate". This would meant that all her estate (inc accounts) would pass to you in their entirety.


If the accounts/her estate are greater than approximately £5000.00 then you will have to apply for a grant of probate (if she has a will) or letters of administration (if she does not). Check with the banks to see whether the amounts are small enough for them to release to you without seeing a grant under their "small estates" policy.

There is lots of info on probate for lay persons here:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you