Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi My 87 year old Mum has become quite ill and is in Hospital.

Hi My 87 year old Mum has become quite ill and is in Hospital. I am now her only child, after loosing my older brother last year. If she dies what will happen to the money she has in her savings and current account with the bank. I do not have power of attorney.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Is she married
  • 2. Do you have any other siblings

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mum is a widow and I do not anymore have any brothers or sisters
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I assume the accounts are in her sole name.

If she has a Will then the accounts shall pass according to how she has directed in her Will, so you will have to check at home and possible with any solicitor she instructed in the past to see if there is one. Also ask any other close friends.

If she died without a Will then she dies "intestate". This would meant that all her estate (inc accounts) would pass to you in their entirety.

If the accounts/her estate are greater than approximately £5000.00 then you will have to apply for a grant of probate (if she has a will) or letters of administration (if she does not). Check with the banks to see whether the amounts are small enough for them to release to you without seeing a grant under their "small estates" policy.

There is lots of info on probate for lay persons here:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/Preparation/DG_10029716

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom