How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a shop in a block of terraced property where there are

This answer was rated:

I own a shop in a block of terraced property where there are shops on the ground floor and residence on the top two floors.
The freeholder is very uncooperative regarding building insurance. I have called and emailed him regarding building insurance so many times but he is not responding. So there is no building insurance cover for the past six months. What is the legal status. what happens in case of any damage done to my shop (building and glass part of it)

Thanks for your question.

If the freeholder is to arrange buildings insurance and doesn’t then it is a breach of contract by them.

If the property is damaged/destroyed then there will be an obligation in the Lease for the FH to reinstate the property. If he does not have insurance then he would still be obliged to reinstate but if he does not have funds to do this then you will be left with a simple breach of contract claim against him.

Obviously it is only worth suing someone if they have assets against which to enforce judgement.

Buildings Insurance needs to be in place. Write a formal letter to him stating that you require to be provided with confirmation of cover within a reasonable time (eg. Two weeks) and that if this is not forthcoming then you shall arrange cover and sue him for the cost of the monies.

You could do this via

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you