How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I have been trying really hard to obtain some important

Resolved Question:


I have been trying really hard to obtain some important information.

I am a Sri Lankan passport holder married to a Swiss Citizen. I therefore hold a Swiss Permanent Residency.

With a Swiss Residency, can I work with the UK?
Will a Swiss Residency make it easier for an employer to obtain a work permit for me?

Please help me with this questions

Kind Regards
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Have you or do you plan to apply to b naturalised as a Swiss citizen?
2. Would your wife be coming here to work as well?

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.



1, Yes, I will apply for a Swiss Citizenship, but i need to residence in Switzerland for over 7 years before I am eligible to do so.


2, I am legally registered in a Same Sex Partnership and therefore have the same rights as a married couple. My partnet will not move to the UK.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If your partner was to travel to the UK in order to exercise their treaty rights and work in the UK then you would have the right to go with them and work, you would be eligible to apply for an EEA Family Permit to travel there and thereafter a residence card in your passport confirming your right to work in the UK for 5 years whilst your partner is there. You could apply for permanent residence of the UK at the end of this time.

Once you are naturalised as a Swiss citizen you will have the same rights as them, EEA Rights. This means that you would be able to travel to the UK to exercise EEA treaty rights regardless of whether your partner travelled or not because your visa status would no longer be dependent upon them.

If you partner will not travel to the UK to exercise their treaty rights and you do not have Swiss citizenship then you do not have any more rights than any other non-eea national I regret to say and would therefore have to apply under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers provisions. I can advise you further in respect of Tier 2 if you would like.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you