How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 year old daughter is getting too much living with me.

Resolved Question:

My 19 year old daughter is getting too much living with me. She is making my life very miserable but won't leave even though she has been asked to.

What can I do as I feel desperate in my own home which has been made worse by being made redundant?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Does she pay rent
2. Does she otherwise contribute to expenses
3. Does she have a tenancy agreement
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

None of the above.


I have tried getting her to pay things but just refuses. She is not working but getting Job Seekers Allowance

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

She is a simple occupier with not many rights at all. If you want her out then you will have to evict her, but one of the rights she has is to receive “reasonable notice”. This should be longer than 28 days and I would give 6 weeks to be safe.

This must be in written form, referring to you as the resident landlord and her as the occupier and stating that you are to terminate her occupation of the property on the eviction date (ie. the date 6 weeks in the future).

If she does not move out then you are within your rights to either change the locks to the property or apply to court for an order for eviction.

You should not attempt to evict her by physical force because this could have criminal consequences for you.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?


If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me.


Please click accept.