How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there i am a french nationality person living in the uk

Customer Question

hi there i am a french nationality person living in the uk and i ould like to bring my fiancee who is living in india in the uk . what is the fastest and easy way to do it please thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Where/When do you intend to marry
  • 2. How long have you been in a relationship
  • 3. Have you lived together

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we intend to marry in england , we have been engaged for nearly two years . we stay together every time i go to visit her in india
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


She will need to apply for a EEA Family Permit in order to travel here to settle in the UK as your fiancé. It is easier to apply for this if you are married but you can apply if they are at the present time your unmarried partner/fiancé provide you can show the UKBA that you are in a "durable relationship" with them.


This usually in involved cohabitation, but each case is judged on it's merits. It also usually involves showing that you have been in a relationship for great than 2 years. You would have to prove this by producing documentary evidence - evidence of your travel, correspondence, statutory declarations from you both detailing you relationship and your plans to settle (see a local solicitor about this each statement would cost around £50+VAT).


She would need to apply for a Family Permit to the nearest UK embassy by completing "Form VAF5 - EEA Family Permit" and submitting it with all the documentary evidence showing your relationship. If you were married then you would need to only produce your marriage certificate.

Once here she will be able to apply for a Residence Card, which is a stamp in her passport showing that she may remain in the UK for period of 5 years. At the end of this time she will be at liberty to apply for Permanent Residence provided she has not spent too much time out of the country.


I have to go out now, I will be able to answer any follow up questions you have in 2 hours or so.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You will see that I have answered above and should be grateful if you would kindly click accept.

If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I do not receive any credit for taking the time to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your help very very helpfull i was just wondering if you could recommend me a good sollicitor that will help me with my paper work to get my fiancee here in the uk i am in birmingham , thanks once again. all my regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
I'm very sorry, I don't know any practitioners in that area.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Kind regards,