How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70417
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to have my convictions removed from my CRB disclosure, my last offence was July 199

This answer was rated:

I wish to have my convictions removed from my CRB disclosure, my last offence was July 1996 for which I received 2yrs Probation. I have never re-offended and want to apply to have them removed, how do I go about this if it is possible. I am aware that if you have 3 convictions or more they are supposed to stay on record for 20 yrs. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

What were your offences and what were the sentences?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

October 1988- Theft Disposal- Probation 18mths


May 1989- Theft Disposal- Admonished


June 1990- Theft-Shoplifting Disposal- Fine £120.00


September 1996- Handling Stolen Goods- Disposal- Probation 2yrs

All of those are long since spent. That will mean that none of them will appear on your basic CRB checking.

But they will show on standard and enhanced checking. At the moment the position is that both forms of checking are to show all forms of convictions deemed relevant although that may change in due course. There are challenges to this practice and the Government are considering a review of CRB checking generally. With old convictions that will be all the more relevant so that may be a case of watching this space.

At the moment all you can do is ask the Chief Constable to remove these items from your CRB on the basis that they are not relevant. Commonly the Chief Constable will refuse. You can judicially review that decision but judicial review is a high test I'm afraid.

At the moment you have no rights to demand that the information is removed though.

I know this answer is probably not what you wanted to hear and I am regret being the bearer of bad news. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me to provide you with anything less than a truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Jo C. and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you