How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

where do i stand when it comes to recovering outstanding rent

Resolved Question:

where do i stand when it comes to recovering outstanding rent from a student ,when his parents have previosley been paying his rent ,do i summons them or is it him i go after or do i issue both partys a summons through the small claims i have given them chance after chance and offered a reduction but they still wont pay thx
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Who is the named tenant of the property
2. Are the parents guarantors of the tenancy agreement
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the tenant is robert walsh he rented a room in a shared flat, his parents are not guarantors ,but take it on them selfs to speak for robert and pay his rent robert is 21
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply

Despite the parent’s having paid the rent I’m afraid that you still do not have contractual relations with them and would not be able to successfully issue a claim against them

You have to issue a claim against the named tenant, which means that you have to issue against the son in this case for the remaining unpaid rent under the tenancy agreement.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 4 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you