How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Syrian Citizen working and living in UAE. I got married

Resolved Question:

I am a Syrian Citizen working and living in UAE. I got married six month ago. My wife has dual citizenship (Syrian and British). Our marriage is registered in Syria using our Syrian IDs. My question is can we, in the near future, move and live in the UK and turn can I apply for a UK citizenship?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I’m afraid not. If you are to move to the UK you will have to apply for a spouses visa. The eligibility criteria for this is as follows. You will have to show:-
• 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
• 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
• 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
• 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
• 5. Your wifeis present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
• 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
• 7. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
• 8. You have suitable accomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.

You will also have to pass and english language test showing you have a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can find out approved test providers in her area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to you.

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.

It would cost around £800-1000+vat for a solicitor to prepare it on your behalf, or around £300+vat for them to check it.

The visa will be granted for 27 months. Once you have been living in the UK for 24 months you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Once you have been living in the UK for three years you will be eligible to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided you meeting the naturalisation eligibility criteria.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. To understand this correctly do I have to first live in the UK for 24 month (without leaving the country) and then petition for "indefinite leave to remain" then leave in the UK for another three years to petition for "citizenship".

Thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that's correct.

You have to live in the UK for 24 months once you have received your spouses visa then you can apply for ILR (right to remain permanently in the UK without any time restriction.

Once you have been in the UK for three years as the spouse of a UK national then you can apply for citizenship provided you meet the criteria on the following page:-

Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you