UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i made a claim for tax credits 2 years ago, and got paid the…

Customer Question
i made a claim for...
i made a claim for tax credits 2 years ago, and got paid the proper money. i'm self employed so my earnings are a year behind. last july i got my claims pack in, and never completed it, as my fishing boat was broken down and needed a new engine. And with no bank manager on the island, it took me a few days to get hold of one and so on. I was working all day every day for 3 weeks to fix it, and when i did i just went fishing every day to make up for the money i was behind. anyway i never filled in the forms in july then they said i was overpaid. I appealed this as i made £10,000 less than the previous year. So they wanted me to pay back £1,100 and stopped all payments this year, a double whammy. I got a phone call from the collection agency, agreed to pay the money back, paid first instalment with debit card, and set up direct debit over phone and never heard any more, until today saying they were not happy with payments that i was behind, and that they would come and collect the dept by distraintaction. i'm at my wits end, i own my own fishing boat, don't make a fortune but i'm honest, maybe to honest. can you please help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/1/2011
Solicitor: UK-Justice, Barrister replied 7 years ago
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

They simply can not distrait against you.

They need a CCJ.

If you have agreed a repayment plan, that is it - they need to stick to it. They can only re-negotiate if you have missed any payments.

But unless they have a CCJ for overpayment of tax credit, they can NOT use other enforcement methods.
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister