UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My General Manager is trying to change my job role & title…

Customer Question
My General Manager is trying...
My General Manager is trying to change my job role & title from Project Manager to Technical Authority can he do this
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/1/2011
Solicitor: Senior Partner, Solicitor replied 7 years ago
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Thank you for your question. What are you employed to do under your terms of employment. Is your role defined in them? Is the proposed change material in terms of role or remuneration ?
Under my current terms of employment my role is defined as Project Manager to oversee & manage various projects, reporting back to ops manager, also standing in for him in his absense etc, the job role they are trying to get me to accept would mean that i would be taking a step down as in i would be answering into a Project Manager & standing in for him in his absense
Thanks , well if the change is material you are not obliged to accept it and if they try to force it on you it could be constructive dismissal. Not that that is a happy position to be in but you are not legally obliged to accept a material change in the terms of your employment
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Can you explain what is meant by material change to terms of empployment
Well being demoted is material, being asked to do a slightly altered role might not be. There is no black and white definition it is any change that might reasonably be considered to be material to the employee. reducing you r pay by 5% would certainly be material . Stopping free coffee machines ( if you had them ) probably not.
The role change i am being asked to take is due to my 17 years of technical knowledge within the the oil & gas industry, although i use this exprience to / knowledge to do my current job my manager wants me to take the new job role up to back fill the position of an other who has the same exprience but is leaving the team we work in. i have been told that the job title new job is only a change in title not role but the T&Cs for the 2 jobs to not match up how do i stand with this is the answer the same ie i am not obliged to accept this
If it is genuinely a change in name and not i role salary and status then it would be unreasonable ot refuse but it sounds as if you are not convinced. What does your contract say - some times it gives the employer the right to assign different duties and if that is the case you might have issues in refusing unless there is something like a cut in pay. I am sorry not to give you a black and white answer but it is not always clear cut. The employer is allowed to reallocate employees within reason and if the contract allows
My contract states that i am responsible for overseeing all aspects of my projects which does include ensuring the client deliverables are met by Tech Authority Engineers ETC, if i were to accept the Tech Authority role i would then be in the position of having to report into a Project Manager which is stated in the job role is this reallocating an employee or forcing into an other job role ?
that does sound like a demotion. Did the previous occupier of the role report to you or someone at your level? If so I think you would be justified in resisting.
Yes the previous occupier does have to report to someone at my level its sturctured around an organisation chart for the department ie Ops Manager at the top Project manager beneath him Technical beneath him with project engineers beneath him relying on the Technical authority to assist them when engineering scopes of work on behalf or when working under the Project managers instruction for deliverables, i have been asked when i initially turned the offer down to go away and bullet point concerns to come to a compromise am i obliged to do this taken in to account the above information
It is entirely up to you if you want to find a compromise. I assume that if you refuse there must be a risk that you will be dismissed but equally you are not obliged to accept a demotion. Also presumably you can raise a grievance at a level above your immediate manager.