UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Hi there, i recently got a police caution for possession of…

Customer Question
Hi there, i recently got...
Hi there, i recently got a police caution for possession of cocaine. Had just finished my finals at uni. Now i am so worried about getting a job and traveling. I wanted to work in the finance industry and am really worried now? Do you think it will be a problem getting a job and will it stop me travelling to certain countries and if so which ones? Many thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2011
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 6 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

Will you be enhanced or basic checked?

I dont know, what jobs do the checks???

It is likely that in the finance industry there will be a check that reveals it. It will show on enhance and standard checking but not on basic because it is spent immediately and so drops off.

It will cause a problem for entry into some countries. The States have a strict policy and cautions are considered but there are others that are too varies to list here - e.g Canada, Australia.

Whether or not you would still be able to get a job is another matter. Some professions would have an issue with it and others not. Probably the finance sector is less likely to be considered than the teaching profession.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What industries are likely to do the advanced checks? what about Singapore? HK or thailand?
Enhancec checks are generally for people who work with vulnerable people or especially sensitive positions. You'll find more information on that here

http://www.cbscreening.co.uk/crb-checks

Most jobs involve a standard check though.
Do they ask you before the check to disclose anything? or even ask you before they check up on you?

They do ask for your consent for a CRB check but if you dont' agree they just won't employ you I'm afraid.

The advantage is that you are given an opportunity to explain.
so do you explain or hope nothing comes up? also what about those countries thanks

You can't lie. If you are asked a direct question then you will have to tell the truth.

In any event, this will show. Its a recent caution.
ok, then sorry just really worried that silly mistake is going to change what i have been working so hard to achieve. what about those countries?
It is likely that those countries would not allow you a visa.

I'm not sure necessarily the finance industry would refuse you but its just something that you will have to explain to them.
But will they allow me to visit? many thanks
No, they would probably deny you a visa unless you can show that this is not an offence of moral turpitude. They tend to get excited over drugs offences in the states.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
You don't need to accept again. You can ask all these follow up questions for free.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister