UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My husband had his tooth chipped and the inside of his mouth…

Customer Question
My husband had his tooth...
My husband had his tooth chipped and the inside of his mouth cut by a bone in some Marks & Spencer food several years ago. We wrote to them and they admitted liability in writing on the Investigation Report. Last year they finally offered to cover the dentist's fees of £80 and eventually, after years of protracted correspondence £70 in M&S vouchers. An almost identical injury happened with M&S in our family around 15 years ago, which we have copies of the correspondence for and he was sent a cheque for £250 compensation. Despite telling them this and writing to their CEO, M&S refuse to compensate further, which seems unfair as there is a precedent and the £70 in vouchers won't cover the inconvenience, pain and time off work this issue caused. I don't know whether to take them to the Small Claims Court and hope they settle, but I can't afford a solicitor and this seems unfair. Can you help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/1/2011
Solicitor: Claire D, Solicitor replied 7 years ago
Claire D
Claire D, Solicitor

Claire D :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. If you have any questions following my answer, please let me know and I will be pleased to assist further. How many years ago did this injury take place to your husband?

Customer :

The injury and first correspondence informing M&S was in June 2006.

Claire D :

Thank you. Unfortunately the limit of 3 years in which to bring a claim from the time of the injury has expired and your husband would be statute barred from bringing court action - probably the reason why M&S has taken so long to settle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.