UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have bought a house and the mortgage is in my name, even…

Customer Question
I have bought a house...
I have bought a house and the mortgage is in my name, even though my partner contributed to the deposit now that she has moved out has she any right or entitlement to the house or a share. and what needs to be done in this scenario
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/1/2011
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've any queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, kindly click the Green ACCEPT button.

1. What percentage did she put into the property please?
  2. Presumably she would be able to prove this if necessary?
the situation stands that she put 7000 pound into my savings account from a claim
and the sale of her car, this was then sat in my account for a few months untill i had to arrange the mortgage and the depoist of around 14000 was laid down.
she has proof of the claim and the sale of her car but no proof that she has gave me the money.
If she can prove that she gave you the money for the deposit (burden of proof is upon her in this respect - though you cannot lie about the facts obviously as they can easily be confirmed) then she can establish that you are holding the money for her upon trust so that she is entitled to the money back and she may be able to claim the relevant percentage of any uplift in value the property has enjoyed..

If you can show that you did not need her money to pay the deposit and that it still sits in a bank then you may be able to avoid the above.
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer