UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have a builder client who is owed 2,000 from the contractor…

Customer Question
I have a builder client...
I have a builder client who is owed £2,000 from the contractor on one of his jobs going back to 2009. Although my client refutes all the allegations from the contractor that my client's work was unsatisfactory and resulted in damages the contractor refuses to pay. My client has obtained a statement from the owners of the house where the works were done that those works were to their full satisfaction the contractor still refuses to pay. We want to take the contractor to the court in small claims (up to £5,000) - what do we need to do and where do we obtain the appropriate form and would it be possible to come to one of your centres and sort the matter there and bring it to court. Many thanks for your help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2011
Solicitor: UK-Justice, Barrister replied 7 years ago
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

Is there a contract?
there was no contract, an estimate was presented, accepted by the contractor - although the estimate kept changing all the time - but there was no form of written contract, only oral, as my client was a sub-contractor. There is a history of this particular contractor of not paying monies due to various sub-contractors.
Whist we can't attend court for you if you keep the claim below £5000 it will stay in the small claims court.

You can issue proceedings online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - or you can go to your local county court (www.hmcs.gov.uk) and complete form n1.

Just explain what has happened and why you are owed the money,

You will have to pay a fee but this will be added to the claim.

This sounds like a Straight forward breach of contract claim. The hearing will be informal and like an office and the judge will hear both sides,

You will be surprised how quick matters are resolved once proceedings are issued.