UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

racial discrimination in licensing examination

Customer Question
I'm most grateful if you...
I'm most grateful if you could give your UK lawyer's contact to me so that I can seek his legal advice. Thanks! Here's my situation: Background: ----------------- I attempted the medical professional examination organized by the Royal College (UK). I believe my performance was good enough for pass. In addition, another Chinese colleague also attempted. She got a distinction in MSc trained in UK as well. But, both of us failed. Therefore, I suspect there are some unfair examination marking. This is a license examination for the practice in UK, but it opens to people trained and working in other countries. It is the reason I suspected racial discrimination. I believe the marking of examination is objective and fact-based. I want to ask back for justice. Appeal for ------------- 1. The exisiting Medical Professional Examination System is already outdated. The transparency in the exam system should be increased, particular - Candidates (especially failed one) should be given back their examination answer book with point-to-point markings. - Marking scheme must be available for all questions 2. Suspected racial discrimination - Candidates are required to give their ethnicity in the application form for ethnic monitoring. - I suspected that non-British candidates failure rates are higher than British candidates. - Two Chinese candidates failed this year. One failed with two attempts. - What sorts of evidence are required in such appeal? - I would like to request the College to review my answers by point-to-point and to review all the answers and success rate according to ethnicities of the candidates
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2011
Solicitor: UK-Justice, Barrister replied 6 years ago
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

Normally exams are marked so that the person marking can not see who the candidate is.

Further, they are then moderated which means a selection go to a third party to ensure the scores are correct.

You should lodge an appeal with the school. You need to do this quick,

You should state that you believe the marking is unfair.

As this is a public body you can also take the matter to court to be judicially reviewed. This is where a court considers the legality and the reasonableness of a decision.

A court can affirm, change or quash a decision.

But normally exams are marked blind so the marker can not see who the candidate is.
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister

Dear Law,

I have been once examiner in another College. Although only candidate number was used, it is not uncommon for the examiners also to know the names / demographics of the candidates.

I plan to submit an appeal to the College first and if their reply is not appropriate, I will consider to submit to court.

May I know what's the usual procedure if taking the issue to court? How much fee is required? How long does the whole procedure take?

Ms Mak

For court it would be by way of judicial review.

The fees for this can be several thousand pounds but if you win you should be awarded costs.

The court will look at the legality and reasonableness of the decision,
UK-Justice
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister