Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello there, I am trying to get one of my clients to pay

Hello there,

I am trying to get one of my clients to pay invoices that are overdue now reaching 75 days. I have called and spoke to them last week and they said they were sorting things out but now I haven't heard from them and they are not responding to my calls or emails. I do have signed time sheets as confirmation that I have done the said work and have sent them the invoices (4 in all) and along with my bank details for them to pay but still to no response. they owe me £4500.00 and now I am to the point where I am desperate to payment and for them to settle. I havent yet resorted to sending a 7 day notice for payment as I am unsure. PLease advise.
With regards
Luca
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You should write a formal letter to her stating the details of the money owing, the invoices referring to the time you have already waited and that you require the money to be paid back (or a repayment plan suggested) within a reasonable time (eg 7-14 days). State that you are prepared to issue a claim at Court for the outstanding monies if necessary. Entitle the letter "Letter Before Intended Legal Proceedings" and send it by registered post. Keep proof of posting and a copy of the letter. Start a correspondence file for this

If this does not illicit a response you could ask a solicitor to draft a Letter Before Action to her. Although there is no need for you to get a solicitor to write a letter prior to you issuing a claim sometimes it convinces the debtor to take it seriously and pay up.

This will be cheap (£40-50.00)and may bring home your commitment to recovering the money.

If no response is received then you can issue a claim yourself through Her Majesty's Courts Service's online service http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/ . It's very straightforward to use and pretty cheap for layperson.

HMCS's website contains lots of useful information for issuing a claim yourself:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I my be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom