How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7613
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I wish to divorce. Our marriage broke down

Resolved Question:

My husband and I wish to divorce. Our marriage broke down and we decided to separate in October 2009 but circumstances prevented us from living in separate dwellings until February 2010. For a two year separation divorce does the date have to be from the date of breakdown decision or from physical separation?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If you're the separation which resulted in the breakdown of your marriage occurred in October 2009 was such that although you were living in the same property you were effectively living separate lives (eg. No meaningful emotional contact, no social life together, little communication, eating separate meals, not sleeping together etc) then this can be taken to be the date of separation for the purpose of obtaining a divorce under this ground.


Provided you have not cohabited for more than 6 months during this time then the cohabitation does not affect your ability to obtain a petition on the basis of your separation. You should therefore be fine. This link confirms the position:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you