How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i am married 2 a indian naional and we have a baby boy in

Resolved Question:

hi i am married 2 a indian naional and we have a baby boy in india he has a british passport i am a uk british citizen what documents arte required from me to bring my wife and son to live with me in uk
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Your wife holds only an Indian passport, correct?
  • 2. Your baby boy holds a British passport, correct?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


In order to come here with a view to settling permanently as your wife she will have to apply for and obtain settlement (ie. spouses visa).

The eligibility criteria for this is as follows:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 3 You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 4. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 5. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

Suggested supporting documents in brackets.


She will also have to pass and English language test showing she has a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can find out approved test providers in his area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to her.


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement.


You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor to prepare an application for you. You can find local solicitors via:-


It would cost around £800-1000+vat for them to prepare it on your behalf.




If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you