How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mum has sadly just died. She has a will which splits all

This answer was rated:

My Mum has sadly just died. She has a will which splits all her assets equally between my sister and I and we are both happy with that. She has savings of approx £3.5k only. She has a (mortgage free) house valued recently at £200k. We are very confused about probate requirements - we thought that we could provide a copy of the will and certificates to the Land Registry to change the ownership of the house. Can it be that easy please? Thanks very much, Valerie



Thanks for your question..


I'm afraid that where there is a property involved in the administration of a deceased's estate it is required that a grant of probate is taken out by the executors of the estate. This is required because the Land Registry transfer document required the signatures of the executors in order for them to register the transfer. The LR will not require site of the Will.


The executors named in the Will must therefore make an application for a grant of probate, once this has been obtained the property can be transferred in accordance with the Will.


The governments HMCS/Justice website contains lots of information for laypersons on how to take out a grant, but you may choose to instruct a solicitor to ensure that the procedural formalities are met. It may also be quicker and most estates are carried out by a probate solicitor or practitioner. Here is the link to the Applications page on the aforementioned website:-


You can find probate solicitors in your area using the following site:-

Select "Wills & Probate"


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you