How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

thank you for your help. I checked some information says if

This answer was rated:

thank you for your help. I checked some information says if you have Settled status in the UK you should not spend more than two years outside of the United Kingdom. I think I'll live in Canada join with my husband, just in case I want come back and anyway, I'm in here for 5 years, I don't want lose the chance but I really don't know if it's worth to apply settlement in UK . my husband thinks I am mad, make thinks so complicated.As a lawyer please tell me what do you think? many thanks!



When approximately and for how long do you think you will live in Canada with your husband?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't konw. I'v never been in Canada. I'm so worry to start again in new country that's the reason I feel if I have the settlement in here I can come back. if I'v got settlement visa and I decided live in Canada do I need come back in UK every year for a couple of days just keep the visa uptodate? this is my understading do not leave uk for 2years. I don't know if it's worth to apply? thanks.



Getting ILR is on the basis that you intend to settle permanently here in the UK. If then you live for some time abroad and wish to return here to settle permanently then you can do this provided you have not been out of the country for two years.


You would have to apply for a "returning resident's visa":-

Again though, you can only get this if you wish to return permanently. You can't just come back for a couple of days per year in order to keep your visa up to date.


If you wish to be able to live somewhere else and then return at will to the UK then you would have to apply for and obtain ILR and then 12 months after that apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided you meet the following residential requirements:-

You must:-

  • been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
  • not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
  • not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period


    If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

    Kind regards,


    Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you