How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a shorthold tenancy agreement in January, under the

Resolved Question:

I signed a shorthold tenancy agreement in January, under the housing act 1988, that will end on 24 May . The weekly rent is £1200. I asked the landlord to extend for an extra month and his agent said he landlord is only interested in a 12 month renewal, however, he is willing to let me stay for an extra month for a weekly rent of £1350. Can he actually increase the rent as he likes or it there something I can do to ensure an extra month at the same price?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Has you landlord served you with a s21 Housing Act notice requiring possession at the end of the fixed term?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, he did
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If he has served a valid s21 notice upon you and you do not leave then he will use the acclerated possession procedure to get an order for possession within about a month (possible a little bit more). You would be liable to the rent and costs during this time so if the order comes in the second month you could find yourself be liable for a further months rent on top of the extra one that you will actually be there.


There is nothing in law to compel the landlord to let you remain at the propety for a further month on the same rent as you were on in the fixed term of the tenancy. If they had not served the notice then you could simply stay and the tenancy would become a statutory periodic tenancy, pay that months rent at the tenancy rate and serve your own notice to quit at the end of the rent period.

I would negotiate down from the £1, 350.00 to something like £1, 275.00 and take it. It's better than there obtaining an order for possession and then getting a county court judgement for possibly 2 months rent.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you