How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step father recently died widowing my mother. The house

Resolved Question:

My step father recently died widowing my mother. The house they lived in is in my mothers name only and was purchased with the proceeds of the sale of their previous house which again was in my mothers name only. My step father contributed no money to the purchase of either house. My step fathers Will leaves 50% of his estate to my mother and 50% to his surviving sisters and makes no mention of the house. Does that mean his sisters may get half my mothers house?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If the house is in your mother's name then the asset does not form part of your step-father's estate and therefore will not pass under his Will. On this basis, they will not receive an interest in the property.

In order to claim an interest in the properyt they would have to establish that your father had a beneficial interest in the property, but if he did not contribute to the financing of the purchase OR paid off sums of the mortgage OR paid for improvements to the proeprty which substantially increased its value. This is quite expenses in terms of legal fees to do as well.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you