How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7611
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen living and working in London since 1994 being

Resolved Question:

I am a US citizen living and working in London since 1994 being a UK permanent resident since 1998. I would like to apply for a UK passport. What would be the fastest and most effective way to do it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Just to be clear, you have obtained indefinite leave to remain in 1998 and this is noted in your passport.


Corr ect?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Indeed it is noted in my US passport
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If you obtainined ILR on the basis of a workers visa then you wil have to apply for a naturalisation as a UK citizen before you are able to apply for UK passport.


The criteria for this is as follows:-


  • You must be aged 18 or over.
  • You must be of sound mind.
  • You must intend to continue living in the UK, or to continue in Crown service, the service of an international organisation of which the UK is a member, or the service of a company or association established in the UK.
  • You must be able to communicate in English( you qualify as the USA is an exempted country in this regard)
  • You must pass the life in the UK test (details here:-
  • You must be of good character.

    You must also meet the residential qualifying criteria, which means you must have been resident in the UK for the 5 years preceding the submission of your application for naturlisation and also:-

  • not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
  • not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period

    Provided you meet the above and evidence appropraitely with supporting documentation then you will be granted naturlisation. You will have to apply to the UKBA by completing form AN which is available for download with the guidance notes from the UKBA's website:-


    A solicitor would be able to prepare the application for you for around £600-900 + vat, you can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


    Once you have obtained UK citizenship you will be able to apply to the passport office for a UK passport.

    If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

    Kind regards,


    Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you