How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my wife and I bought and moved iinto our present house

This answer was rated:

Hi, my wife and I bought and moved iinto our present house in October of last year. Since then we have had a constant stream of letters and shopping catalogues sent to the house for the previous owner and even a letter thanking the previous owner (in the past month) for renewing their mobile phone contract (using our address!). The final straw was last night when the Police attended at 04:30 looking for her. The provious family have obviously not updated any records regarding residence and we are worried that they may be using our address to apply for credit etc. We have no forwarding address for them and need to know if there is anything we can do.



Have you been in contact with your conveyancing solicitor about finding their new address?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,

I currently work outside the UK, I have asked my wife this morning to do just that so hopefully we will have their new address at some point today.




When she calls she should ask for the solicitor to ask your vendor's solicitor to confrim their new address on headed paper. They will have it and the letter in reply should be forwarded to you by your solicitor.


Obviously you should also ask your solicitor to request that they update their records appropriately.


You to keep a copy of the letter and the most recent official copies for the property with you at the property to produce to any persons who attend with regard to your vendors. Attach these to a letter explaining that the accounts that you have been contacted about are in fact those accounts of your vendor and they would contact them at the address given by the solicitor.


No liability will attach to you because you will be able to prove when you bought the property from the vendors.


It's an adminsstrative hassle but it's nothing more than that.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you