How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I currently shared joint ownership (we own 50% each) of

This answer was rated:

I currently shared joint ownership (we own 50% each) of a house with my partner as Joint tenants (cohabiting for 5 years, not married).
He wants to split up and I do not want to loose the house and can afford to take
on the mortgage.
However at this current time i do not have enough money to pay him his share of the
My question is can we still transfer the house into my name and then draw up a legal
agreement that i will repay him at a set monthly rate over a period of time.
I roughly owe him £ is this possible?
I have suggested this to him, but he seemed to have been advised that such a legal agreement "is not worth the paper its written on" ......could you advise me on this
Dr J Mosley

Hi Dr Mosley,


If there is a mortgage on the property then the lender has a first legal charge which prevents the transfer of the property without their consent. This means that you should approach the lender about receiving a mortgage in your sole name (your quesiton reads "...can afford to take on the mortgage".


Once you have a mortgage offer you can arrange the transfer in to your sole name.


If you do not have enough money to pay him his share now then upon transfer to your name you coudl execute a declaration of trust stating that although you are the owner of the property he has an interest to the value of £15, 000.00 in the equity in the property. Alternatively he would take a second legal charge against the property in the same sum.

At the same time you could execute a separation agreement (with a solicitor in the same firm) stating what is happening above and that you plan to repay him. The charge or declaration would also contain provision regarding repayments of the amounts owed and that upon full repayment he will consent to the declaration or charge being redeemed (ie. repaid).


I'm not sure what he was advised.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

His main concern is either

1. What if i decide not to repay him (even though i can afford it)




2. If my circumstances change and can not afford to do so immediately


Does the "The charge or declaration" protect him against loosing his equity in the property



The declaration of trust/charge would govern his right to enforce the non-repayment of monies owed.


In view of his concerns, a second charge would seem more appropriate in that it can be registered against the title to the property so that any potential conveyancer would know of the charge and repay the sum following complettion.


If you cannot afford to repay the monies under the charge then he could apply for an order for sale. The charge may state under what circumstances (ie. how many missed payments) he can make such an application. If there is insufficient equity in the property to repay him upon sale then he can obtain judgement agianst you for the debt in a county court.

This is a bit of a disadvantage to him in that it is better to have money in hand than a county court judgement but if you are to have the property in your sole name but cannot repay him this is all you can offer.


Trust this clarfies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you