How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Morning, I am a Uk citizen in fulltime employment and I would

Resolved Question:

Morning, I am a Uk citizen in fulltime employment and I would like to marry my Filpino girlfriend in Hong Kong and then live in the UK. We have been together for @ two years with her visiting the UK and me visiting both Hong Kong and the Philippines.

Have taken some legal advice but want a second opinion on a couple of matters:-

To enter into the UK I will have to present the marriage certificate, in English, to the HK British Embassy to allow them to decide whether she can enter. I understand that this fee is @£800 payable at the time in HKD.

My questions are:-
what other information do I need to produce to gain successful entry?
What happens if we are unsuccessful even though we have got married?
What money do I need to show in my bank accounts to allow for successful entry, if any?

Where in Luton Bedfordshire would I get help as required with this process?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If the aim is for you to marry in HK within your wife to then subsequently to return to the UK in order to settle permanently here as your wife then she will have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement) to the UK embassy in HK once you are married.


The eligibility criteria is as follows:-


You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. Your wifeis present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 7. You can support each other withoutthe need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 8. You have suitableaccomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

Suggested documents to submit with the application in brackets. If you are in doubt as to whether to submit a document it is generally best to submit it.

There is no fixed amount of money that you have to show, instead the criteria is that you must show enough assets/income (you can include income of the jobs your wife could potentially do - eg job adverts etc) to cover the costs of housing and supporting yourselef in the area in which you are to live without the need to access public funds.



You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it. The fee is presently £750 but you should check just prior to submitting your application.



You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

A solicitor would prepare the application for you for around £800-1, 200.00 + Vat.


If you are unsuccessful on application you will be able to appeal to an immigration tribunal where the evidence gets a much fairer hearing and you are able to submit further evidence. Your solicitor will be able to provide you with an indication of the chance of success before you submit your applicaiton.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you