How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Want to transfer the ownership of a property within the

This answer was rated:


Want to transfer the ownership of a property within the family, brother to brother without the exchange of any money. The property is less than 100K and in the UK

What is the BEST and an most ECONOMIC method?
Do solicitors have to get involved or can one Do-It-Yourself?

John, UK

Hi John,

Is there a mortgage on the property?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
fully paid for



A mortgage is noted against the registered title to the property in the form of a charge.


If a mortgage has been repaid this should be removed. Do you know if the lender arranged this?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The house was purchased with cash

No mortgage was ever taken for the property.

It is fully owned outright by my family and has been so for the last 15 years to date.



In that case you could act on your own in order for the cheapest way to transfer the property.


The "best" way would obviously be for a conveyancer to act on your behalf. There may be covenants on the legal title to the property, for example, for which you would ask for an indemnity from your brother confriming that he shall observe them. This would mean that you would not incur any liability if a covenant was breached.



If you wish to act on your own behalf then you will need to know the registered title number in order to draft the forms.

You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine:-

Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.


You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you to your brother daughter (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website

by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-


You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that. It is not that difficult to do.


Alternatively you can submit further questions to this board requesting that I provide info as and when you have queries.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you