Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I AM A NURSE QUALIFIED IN AMERICA AND WISH TO JOIN MY PARTNER

I AM A NURSE QUALIFIED IN AMERICA AND WISH TO JOIN MY PARTNER IN THE UK,HOW LONG CAN I STAY IN THE UK AND AFTER THAT PERIOD HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO BE OUT OF THE UK BEFORE RETURNING.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi
Do you intend to marry your partner in the uk?

Tom
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes but at the moment I am going through a divorce in America which I think could take two years to be resolved.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, to clarify - are you asking about visitor's visas OR a visa which is granted for a longer period of time and which allows you to work?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to be able to be with my partner in the UK during the divorce period being able to work is not essential but would be nice if it were possible.My partner in the UK has his own prpoerty and we would be living as man and wife.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Right. I'm just trying to establish whether it is best for you to apply for a worker's visa or a visitor's visa.

Are you one of the following:-

1. Specialist nurse working in operating theatres

2. Operating department practitioner

3, Special nurse working in neo-natal intensive care units

Do you hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No to all of the questions.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Right. I'm afriad that this means you are not eligible to apply for a workers visa under the points based system. The rules tighten considerably in this regard on 6th April 2011.

I assume you have not cohabited with your partner for 2 years and are therefore on eligble to apply for a visitor's visa.

Visitors visas for 6 months are granted upon port of entry to US citizens. If you wish to stay for longer than this period of time continiousloy then you will have to make an application for a longer term visitor's visa directly to the embassy.

Please find link to visitor's visas page of the UKBA's visa website:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#165062682

Select the heading "Long-term visit visas"

Your application will be judged upon the bullet pointed eligibility criteria under that heading. You will need to submit supporting documentation verifying your relationship with your partner (correspondence), a statement by your confriming your position and bank statements or other documetary evidence showing the funds available to you (this can also include his finances).

To assist your application you should ask your parnter to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which they state the terms of your visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that if you in a relationship with him that then your both know that you must leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that they shall accommodate your and all pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

Sorrry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom