How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Copy of the will of Miss Ellen Maclennan McIntosh late of 31,Viewforth

Customer Question

Copy of the will of Miss Ellen Maclennan McIntosh late of 31,Viewforth Edinburgh Scotland
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



You will have to obtain a copy Grant of Probate, a copy of the Will (if any) shall be attached to it.


You should contact the follow depending on the date the grant was taken:-


Scotland: H M General Register Office

Up to 1985: H M Register Office, H M Register House Princes Street, Edinburgh EH1 3YY
Tel 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNN

After 1985: H M Commissary Office,XXXXX Edinburgh EH1 1LB
Tel 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNN


A fee of £5 is payable for copies of grants in England and Wales and the fee will be much the same I should imagine.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewraded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regrads,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
probate not required but a copy of the will essential.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did not know a copy of Grant of Probate was required. A copy of the will essential.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
What do you suppose was the approximate value of the estate?

Were there any properties included in the estate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have you found this will
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
No, you will have to contact the probate registry using the details I provided you with in my original post.

If the estate involved the transfer of property or was over £5000 then a grant of probate would have been required and the registry will let you have copy for a fee.

Kind regards.